We are very excited this week to be celebrating World Autism Awareness Week! (27th—31st March 2017)
What is Autism?
Autism affects more than 1 in 100 people. Over 700,000 people in UK are autistic, which means that 2.8m people have a relative on the autism spectrum.
Autism is a lifelong developmental disability that affects how a person communicates with, and relates to, other people. It also affects how they make sense of the world around them.
Why our school is a perfect environment for learners with autism
The Garden provides outstanding education and highly specialised provision for 2-16 year-olds learners with autism.
Our school offers pupils:
- Low arousal environments
- Access to full time specialist communication support
- Personalised learning programmes
- Constant supervision to complete tasks and participate in activities
- Adult support to emotionally regulate
- One to one assistance during many activities—i.e. meal times and toileting.
The school also offers additional support and services to pupils including:
- Additional speech and language therapy
- Additional occupational therapy
- Other therapies including Drama & Gardening
- Accredited Arts program including Dance, Drama and Art
- Parent training and support
- Pathways to adulthood. Developing independence, community engagement and work related learning. Also developing healthy lifestyle (i.e. anti obesity program)
Early intervention and evidence based approaches that are provided by The Garden School are improving outcomes for our pupils and their families.
Fundraising and Awareness
Due to the high needs of our children, many families find it difficult to find appropriate provision after school and during school holidays for their children to attend.
The money that is raised through our fundraising campaign will be used to set up a highly specialised and free after-school club. There are also plans in place to start up a subsidised provision for our pupils during the school holidays.
We are hosting an Autism Awareness Raffle— top prize is a meal for two at Smith & Wollenski (worth £250.00!) and a Fortnum and Mason hamper!
Tickets are just £1 for 5 chances to win – contact firstname.lastname@example.org
11 employees and 2 school governors are running 13.1 miles as part of the Run Hackney Half Marathon
Sponsor here: www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/TheGarden
A group of our parents are taking part in a sponsored walk
No donation is too big or small!
This week we will be raising awareness of autism and fundraising at Hackney Learning Trust – pop by to learn more about autism!
We will also be hosting a range of activities at school including assemblies, bake sales and of course – getting everyone wearing blue for autism, watch this space for pictures.
Follow us on Twitter: TheGardenN16